Friday, July 11, 2008

Overflow of Emotion

I think this blog is purposed just to allow me a chance to vent and express concern. I am dealing with a situation right as we speak and just need to unload:

I work with a wonderful woman, whom we can refer to as K, and she has become a close friend over the past 3 years. K is dealing with some serious health issues right now and has been for the better part of a year. First off, she is diabetic, and has issues caused by this. Second, she has been dealing with SEVERE G.I. issues and has had about every test imaginable run on her poor body over the past 4 months...and imagine this...they can't figure out what's wrong. K introduced me to a book called The Ph Miracle a couple months ago and it is what ultimately led me to curiousity regarding raw foods. K hadn't eaten meat in a year or so and had subsided on fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, tofu, meat substitutes, etc...As K became sick, those around her began telling her that she was sick because she "stopped eating meat"!!! They convinced her that "her body needs to heal" and that "meat is a healer", so she finally started eating meat again...what do you know, she is getting worse! Although I am just beginning with this process, I am very aware that arguing my lifestyle does NOTHING positive, so I just sat back and listened. They told K that "the amino acids in meat couldn't be found anywhere else, so meat is the ultimate healer because you need these aminos from the meat". She is so scared and so sick and trusts these friends. I am so scared for her, but am afraid that she is going about things the wrong way, driven mainly by fear (as I'm sure would be the case for most of us in her situation, with the same knowledge and understanding level as she has about how to "properly" eat).

I just had this conversation with the friend and did very well at not showing my frustration at her direction-giving, but I just had to vent. Does anyone have any thoughts?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Unfortunately, unless she asks you specifically for your opinions/advice, all you can really do is be there for her and listen quietly, while being a silent example of what your lifestyle is doing for your health. 'Cos even if you beat her over the head with a raw encyclopedia, she won't listen until/unless her mind is ready to accept what you're saying.

I know firsthand how frustrating this is! I'm sorry :(