Wednesday, July 9, 2008

1st post!!!

Ok, well, how bout we start with a little background so we can get to know each other a little bit better:

I am a 27 yr old guy from America's heartland, Oklahoma. I am married to an incredible woman whom I love with all my being. I have a 15 month old son who I believe is the most beautiful, amazing child alive...I MIGHT be a little biased though :) I grew up in rural western Oklahoma, where cattle and hog farming are the career choice of many. I, like everyone else I knew, grew up eating meat at EVERY...SINGLE...MEAL. I knew no different and was happy in my ignorance. List most people, my thoughts and views of my world have evolved as I've grown older and "wiser". I simply wish my growth in knowledge could keep up with the growth in my disgust for my lifestyle.

In February of this year, I came to a place where I knew that some changes needed to be made. I cut red meat and pork from my diet completely to begin with. This was a start, but I knew that simply cutting those two things wouldn't do me much good if done alone. The reaction of those around me when they found out what I had cut from my diet...well...you would've thought that I had shot someone's dog!! I really thought that people would at least understand the health benefits even if they didn't quite understand the humanity of it...boy was I wrong! Well, last weekend I gave in and ate beef while we were visiting family for the holiday. I thought, just out of ease, I could eat what everyone else was eating and be ok...again...I was WRONG!! I did not feel well at all. I was more affected, both physically and psychologically, than I would have ever imagined. After returning home, I knew that there was no room in my life for beef or pork, but thought maybe a little poultry would still be ok...what could it hurt, right!? Last night became the final proverbial straw. I got home late from work and my wife picked up dinner from one of her favorite fastfood places: Taco Bell. I ate a couple chicken chalupas and didn't give it much thought. I woke up this morning about 2:00 a.m. and thought I was dying! My stomach was cramping as badly as I can remember it ever cramping. I was SICK!

I had spent a great deal of time yesterday reading on my favorite raw foods forum (www.rawfoodsupport.com) and really wanting to transition to raw foods. I figured I would put it off just a while longer, but last night gave me a good nudge to get going. I know nothing about cleanse to start with, being healthy in my transition or really anything else. I just know that it is way past time to do this and I owe it to my poor body. My wife is a VERY picky eater and expresses zero interest in joining me on this journy and I am ok with that. I understand this is not something to push anyone to and just hope that as I become healthier, she will become more interested in joining me. As important as my health is in this decision, it is equally important to me that my meals no longer require animals being slaughtered or dying. I hope that my heightened understanding and conciousness are only the beginning of tremendous growth.

Again, I know nothing and will most likely say some very dumb things, but I'll be completely transparent and honest through all of this. I have nobody to support me through this or to hold me accountable so this blog will have to suffice. Comments, criticism, encouragement and the like are always appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks so much for allowing me to introduce...well...me!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congratulations on taking steps toward glowing health! :)

Love on your wife, be a silent example and you may be surprised - she may one day come around!

Looking forward to reading your journey.