Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 3...halfway down

Today, Thursday, is day 3 of my adventure/transition to "raw-ism" if you will. Day 1 was good, day 2 was looooooooooooooong and day 3 is going smoothly. I did not stay 100% raw yesterday, day 2, as I slipped up and ate some steamed edamame last night after I ate my incredibly delicious salad for dinner. I obviously didn't make my salad near big enough because I was still hungry afterward. I dedicided that I am absolutely not going to beat myself up over a slip up on edamame. That slip up is better for me than most everything I ate previously on a "diet". Green smoothies are QUICKLY becoming my friend as I am having a huge one each morning for breakfast and loving them so far. Coming into this, the idea of eating "salad" everyday was not very appealing; however, I am quickly finding out that "salad" is a VERY broad term and is far from boring. Last night I had a chopped salad consisting of romaine, golden bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, carrots and broccoli with juice from half a lemon. It was very pleasing to the eyes, but it tasted so very good. I suppose it could have been the fact that it had been 8 hours since my previous meal(3 bananas), but it tasted better than any salad ever. I figure that as I progress through this transition, I'll learn to pack more adequately for the workday.

Last night I had a great opportunity to catch up with a very special friend over the phone. We grew up together and have stayed in decent touch over the years. He's living in a different state now with his wife, so it's sometimes hard to keep caught up. We were able to speak for about an hour last night and really catch up. He's been experimenting with veganism and raw veganism for a while now, which means...he's the only person I really know that has any interest in this lifestyle I am learning so much about and transitioning too. It was great to not only catch up, but to have someone to talk to about raw. My wife knows what I'm doing, but she doesn't really care to talk about it much...which is fine and I won't push the subject; however, there is so much going on in my mind right now and so much I want to talk about. It was sure a relief to be able to share my excitement with someone that shares the interest.

I know that I know nothing when it comes to living this lifestlye, but I'm just keeping it simple and enjoying it. With every headache(I used to never get headaches) and muscle ache I simply look at it that my body is cleansing itself of the junk I've allowed to build up my entire 27 years on earth. I will enjoy this transition: the good and the "bad".

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Kudos to you for not beating yourself up about some steamed veggies! 'Cos you know, steamed veggies are only 523 times healthier for you than say... french fries? :-)

I'm glad you found a friend to talk to, that has been crucial in my journey as well. Good luck as you continue!

Kristen's Raw said...

Congrats on an awesome accomplishment! You're doing great :)

CHEERS for Green Smoothies!

Have a great day,
Kristen's Raw